Wednesday, March 17, 2010

142 Days...

I find networking to be an amazing tool.  I know I'm reiterating an obvious fact but its something I had never really considered doing until I became a Wedding Planner.  When I worked for a large corporation I had a cubicle that I worked in, a boss who told me what to do, how to do it, and who to do it for.  The people whom I produced countless pieces of work for were faceless names to me.  Now, I'm my own boss.  If I don't have work, it's my own fault.  And the best way to get more business: networking!

Which brings me to today's story.  Through a network of colleagues, I met Royal Fraser, acupuncturist extraordinaire.  When we were talking about my business as a Wedding Planner he asked if I was open to same sex marriages.  With California being the hotbed of debate regarding LGBT marriages, I was impressed that he'd ask so openly.  My answer, of course, is yes, I'm open to all!  (I stole that terminology from Bethel of Ceremonies by Bethel).  So, Royal told me about Béla, a photographer here in San Diego who started this amazing project entitled "142 Days of Equality".  



I have now had the opportunity to "meet" Béla (all via email and Facebook, of course) and to learn more about his project.  I am meeting him this weekend in person and am quite excited.  I was so moved by this project that I had to share it with you all!  Please take a look at "142 Days of Equality" and see if it doesn't move you to feel something too!  I also encourage those of you who support this Equality movement to reach out to Béla and get to know him.  He's incredible and has such an amazing message to share.

I know that not all of you reading this share my belief that we are all equal, regardless of our sexual orientation, and I accept that.  I can't change your mind and you can't change mine.  I just had to put this out there to see if I can't help you find a way to see that marriage is a commitment to another human being, not another human being of the opposite gender.

Please share this message of love and hope - "142 Days of Equality" may mean a lifetime of Equality!!!


3 comments:

  1. Wow - thank you for posting this! You know that I completely agree with you on this topic, and I am thrilled that you came across this and have shared it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat "project". Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right there with ya, girl!! Thanks for sharing this with everyone. So important to connect human beings with the real message. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete