Monday, August 9, 2010

Adventures in the Kitchen: Buns

If I haven't mentioned it before, the Hubband is quite a catch.  He cooks.  He cleans.  He brings home the bacon so I can have a career I love.  The cooking is almost always an adventure though.  He's not so into making meals he's made before.  He always wants to "go big or go home".  Since he's always at home when he cooks the only option left is to "go big".  And yesterday's meal was no exception.

We have a bit of a battle in the house - who makes the best chili?  I argue that I do as it's a more "traditional" chili (and by "traditional" I mean that it's the same delicious recipe that my Mum gave to me that I've been using for years and years).  He argues that his is better because it's always different.  And I have to admit, his is VERY good (wipe that smug look off your face, Hubband).  However, after the last chili event we ran into a bit of a situation.  It was SO spicy it was a bit hard to eat.  So instead of drinking lots of milk or water to reduce the spice we found a way to add more calories and fat to the meal - we decided to use buns to aid us in eating the chili more slowly rather than just taking smaller bites.  I know - it's ingenious!  

This time when the Hubband made the chili he used 2 1/2 jalapeños so we weren't sure how spicy it was going to be.  So he planned ahead and looked up a recipe to make homemade buns rather than buying them at the store.  Infinitely more tasty, but arguably far more work.  

They turned out GREAT!  They're a very dense bun because he found a recipe that doesn't require them to rise but here's the process.  I thought it was picture-worthy.

 
 




Mm, mm, good!

2 comments:

  1. brush the tops with butter before baking for a golden brown top. An egg white works too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, we know about that trick! Trying to save a few calories... :)

    ReplyDelete