Monday, May 9, 2011

Scotland Honeymoon: May 7, 2011

So it's actually 10:43pm local time (that'd be Glaswegian time) on Monday, May 9th, and I'm finally uploading the 176 images taken over the past three days. Yes, 176. For a photographer that's nothing but for a gal who really doesn't take many photos on any given day that's a lot of pictures.

However, I'm going to start at the beginning of the trip which was Saturday, May 7th: the shortest day of my life. It was only 16 hours.

At 3:30am the alarm went off. I didn't hear it though because I was already in the shower. I guess I was excited. We'd gone to bed at about 9pm the night before but likely didn't actually get to sleep until 10pm for all of our nervous energy. I expected to be far more tired than I was when I woke but apparently I was running on adrenaline. I showered, packed the rest of my personal items and was pacing by the froth door by 4:15am.

Our car showed up at 4:20am (10 minutes early, as expected) and we blasted off to the airport in style with Pops of Elite Image Limousines. He let us share all of our excitement with him on the drive over. He was a gem.

We were through security in about 5 minutes and sitting in the waiting area an hour before we were scheduled to take off to Philadelphia, our first and only stop before Glasgow. I had, fortunately or unfortunately, I can't decide, taken two Dramamine to settle my uneasy stomach before leaving the house. As it turns out, "marked drowsiness" doesn't adequately describe a side effect of Dramamine. "Just try to keep your ass awake" is a better way to market it, in my opinion. Usually one to be nervous and edgy before and during flights (which my husband loves... not...) I not only fell asleep waiting to board the plane but barely got through take off before I was asleep again. I. Love. Dramamine.

The flight to Philadelphia was relatively uneventful and the only thing to note is that, as warned by Sean, I'm spoiled for coach flights. Flying first class is awesome. They provide their guests with drinks before the plane even takes off (read: as the coach guests are walking past you to their cramped seats) and the drinks are served in glassware. Not plastic. Glass. It's awesome! Ok... I'm kind of gloating but it's my first time...

Likewise, the layover in Philadelphia was fairly non-noteworthy. As first class flyers we were able to sit in the US Airways Envoy lounge at the airport which afforded us plush leather seats, assorted free food and drinks (alcoholic and non-) and a front row seat to the runway. I was antsy after about 45 minutes so we headed down to our gate and read for a couple of hours.

Now! First class on an international flight is something to write home about! The seats recline to an almost-horizontal position, mimosa's and champagne are served (again in real glassware) as soon as you're in your seat and you're given a menu. A menu!!! We were served warm nuts and a cocktail just after take off followed by a delightful little appetizer salad/chicken dish, then our entree (I had mahi mahi and Hubband had steak) and then, if you please, dessert and another cocktail. Un-freakin' believable! And did I mention the legroom? I know at 5' 3" I'm not so tall as many people but I had another 6" or 8" past the end of my toes before I'd even touch the back of the seat in front of me!

By this time it was about 1am Scotland time so I decided to have a dram of Glenlivet and get some shuteye before we landed. So I laid the seat back, put on the provided eye mask and snoozed for four hours...

Alrighty, time to get some shut eye before tomorrow's adventures start. I'll likely blog a few days tomorrow with way more pictures! It's now 11:30pm local time (3:30 San Diego time). G'night!

2 comments:

  1. I am LOVING this! I can picture you saying every word and will just imagine I am an additional carry on :)
    Can't wait to read more!
    Linds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE flying first class. Unfortunately, you will be totally spoiled for every flight in coach from now on....

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete