Thursday, February 11, 2010

I'm a Pro Photog!

Hee hee... did I push any buttons right there?  Are you twitching a little bit?

I have some amazing relationships with some equally amazing photographers here in San Diego.  We often lament the creation of "photography businesses" by Joe/Jane with a Camera - folks who think that they can buy a decent camera and become wedding photographers.  I've discovered that if I'm in the mood to bug my favorite photographers I can tell them that I'm also a pro-photog because not only do I have my very own camera, but it's pink!  And I'll shoot the entire wedding for $200.  Um... not so much.

Here's the reality.  I was handed a Nikon D700 to "play" with by Nick Lamb.  These first three shots had no flash.  And the first two I was really dumb and tried to take a picture with the light behind my subject.  Not so smart.



So then I thought, okay, lets put the light behind ME instead.  Turns out I have a lot of really bad lighting in my house so I still end up with a lousy picture (not because of Nicky... because of the lighting and, oh yeah, I'm a terrible photographer)!


Then Nicky gave me the flash, a longer lens and some actual directions (like the focus button or something?) and I got one great shot.  At least I think its great.  I'm sure for you pro's out there its nothing special but it makes me excited that I got at least one decent shot!


Check out this handsome devil!  The background is blurry (er... out of focus? what's the technical term here?) and everything - almost like I know that I'm doing.  Except not so much 'cuz the camera was really heavy, I was really nervous and I just happened to click the button at the right moment.

Thanks to stopping by to see how good a photographer I'm not (and apparently how bad I am at grammar)!  Just so you all know: I have a huge amount of respect for all of my photographer friends.  I love photos, I love having my photo taken, but I know I'll never be a pro photog.  A good camera doesn't equal good skill.  Skills = good skills.

Alright, my rant is over.  Peace out!

Oh, and Nick said I had to include these words which really mean nothing to me but since he sent the photos to me from his camera he doesn't want to take credit for the bad images.  I don't blame him!

"SHOTS TAKEN IN RAW only editing was RESAVING files as JPGS. ALL SHOTS IN CAMERA. "

Okay now, really, peace out!

1 comment:

  1. What? You mean that because I own a Canon 5D Mark II I'm not a pro photographer?? I'm crushed.... :)

    ReplyDelete