Saturday, December 4, 2010

30 minus 6 days!

Still hangin' in there, are ya?  Glad to see you back for reason #6 (don't you love my delusions that people actually read this blog?).

So here it is, reason #6 in the countdown to why I've got it made in the shade at 30!

Reason #6
I. SURVIVED. CANCER. If there's no other reason to celebrate in this life, it's this.  I don't know the statistics on the mortality rate of those diagnosed with any form of cancer, but for those of us with thyroid cancer, thankfully, the statistics are in our favor.  But I'd just like to say it again: I survived cancer.  Holy frick, right?  I'm by no means the only one (thank goodness!) who gets to add this slogan to their life's list of "I did that" but I'm damn proud to be someone who does get to say it. 

Some days I look back at the whole ordeal and think "Meh, it happened to me.  I couldn't do anything but just keep on keepin' on" but that's not true.  I could have let it beat me.  Oh, not physically, of course.  I had the surgeries to get rid of it, but I could have sat back and said "That's it, I give up.  Some day, I'm going to die and it's because of the cancer".  Heck no!  I said "Fuck Cancer" - yep, I even bought the pin.  I had bad days, days where I let it get me down, but for the most part, I stayed positive and just let it happen.  Two surgeries.  OK.  A round of radiation.  C'mon, is that all you got?  More needles than I ever hope to see again in this lifetime?  Sure... what's one more prick in the long line of pricks that I'm likely to meet in this life (get the pun?).  Bring it on.  I'll still survive.  

So, obviously today is one of those days I'm feeling invincible.  I'm officially cancer free (as of Veteran's Day) and I think that's something to celebrate.  And I also think it's part of the whole reason that I've made it.  If I can beat Cancer, what CAN'T I do?  

Reason #5 starts with a "C" too... 

2 comments:

  1. and we are glad you are a fighter :)

    not going to comment on the prospect of #5 "c" because in have been told it has a different meaning in Canada...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a fire in you girl! We think you can do anything you set your mind to. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete